For over a decade, I have been using Aquatica underwater camera housing gear and have been Micronesia’s Aquatica dealer. I like the feel, size and creative options these underwater housings offer.
They are constantly getting more compact, lighter and more efficient. This company doesn’t let any grass grow. They are always on top of the market. The housings are the best-priced pro quality housings available. Period.
The Nikon D7100, builds and improves on the legendary Nikon D7000, with 1080P video, extraordinary low light performance and ability to render highlights with excellent detail, this camera performance, coupled with the excellent range of optics available for underwater photography, is sure to be a major favourite among underwater seeking top quality at an affordable price.
The Aquatica AD7100 housing is made from carefully selected aluminum and Stainless Steel alloys, the same grade as used in the aerospace industry. It is machined on the latest 5 axis computer assisted machines available, and is protected by anodizing it to North American military specification. While anodizing will protect the housing from the environment, it will fade and discolour if left exposed to the elements, to prevent this, and for further protection, Aquatica provides corrosion inhibiting zinc anodes as standard equipment and coats their housings with a baked on, tough as nails, powder coating. This extra level of protection makes a huge difference, as exemplified by Aquatica housings with over 1,500 dives on them that still look as fresh as the day they came out of the box. To see the whole process, visit our How It’s Made page on this website.
Everything manufactured by Aquatica is given the same hand crafted care and attention to detail that is common to fine precision instrument. Precise shaping is achieved through laser cutting tools, controls shafts are double O-ring sealed, push buttons have Quad-ring seals, and every shaft and push button are manufactured from stainless steel to a mirror smooth
surface that meets our strictest standards. The achievement of this standard of quality means a depth rating of 300ft/90 meter, upgradeable to 425ft/130m, on all our housings.
Over 30 years of experience is poured in this housing, experience that not only comes from our design and manufacturing team, but also from you the end users. The wisdom to listen, the experience to share and the knowledge to accomplish are virtues we, at Aquatica, consider essential in this industry.
We carefully pay attention to the requirements of the underwater photographers, and in the end, blend in this vision with ours. As a result, this housing was thoughtfully designed to be uncluttered by allowing easy access to the controls in both the warmest and coldest of diving environment.
The rear button array on the left hand side is angled at 15 degrees for ease of access, and the Multi Controller assembly has been redesigned to feel more natural. This very important control is accessed via 5 individual buttons on the camera body, giving the user an intuitive feel when going through menus or when reviewing images. Frontal controls benefit from a newly designed 3 spring arrays, ensuring smooth precise operation of the crucial shutter release, video record and exposure compensation levers. Transmission of the aperture value is through an accurate belt system.
No matter what the diving conditions are, you remain in control of the situation with the Aquatica AD7100. The thickest of cold water gloves or the smallest of bare hands will not be hindered by the layout. All functions are clearly identified with permanent pad printed paint for quick visual identification and to eliminate the frustration of searching for relocated controls.
Dual optical strobe connectors come standard with the housing, and can fit the popular optical cords available on the market. Connecting any S-TTL is a breeze and will give spot on TTL exposure via the cameras built in flash circuitry. Even with the compact size of this housing, Aquatica has managed to build in a quick access, internal flash control that brings the camera built-in flash up and down. This allows for quickly alternating between strobe illuminated and ambient light photography.
For the classic strobe connectivity or those that prefer electrically connected TTL converters, the housing can easily be provided with, or even field converted to, either a classic Nikonos type connector, or Ikelite connector at the user’s request. All in all the Aquatica AD7100, like the rest of its siblings, offers you the broadest range of strobes connections in the industry.
Handling is via a pair of moulded grips that have been the comfort benchmark for the last 25 years. Theses lightweight grip handles are made in one piece and cannot become unglued, fall apart, or corrode. Both grips are provided with mounting holes ready to accept the most current strobes and supporting arms such as our line of Technical Lighting Controls strobe arms. The housing body has an extra mounting point on top for a focus/video light (or other accessories), and three additional mounting points underneath for various brackets or for attaching a tripod.
Aquatica housings have been available with a lens release for a long time now, this allows removal of the lens through the front of the housing, the controls are also designed to quickly extract the camera from the rear without removal of the lens, a port locking mechanism securely locks the port or extension ring in place on the housing
Viewing on the Aquatica AD7100 is through a Galileo type eyepiece. This high quality coated optical finder gives a bright and full view of the camera’s viewfinder. For those seeking the ultimate viewing experience, the optional Aqua View Finders, available in straight (180 degrees) and angled (45 degrees) are among the best in the industry, they can easily be mounted by the user in a matter of minutes without requiring the uses of any tools, a unique and convenient feature for the travelling photographer. The Aqua View Finders provides an enlarged and enhanced image that are second to none in clarity, giving the photographer tack sharp, corner to corner improved viewing of the camera’s viewfinder. This level of precision is essential for critical focusing and composing your award winning images. The Aqua View 180 Finder also incorporates an internally adjustable and lockable dioptric adjustment.
- Optical Fiber Strobe Connections: Options include optical ports for Sea & Sea® or INON® type connectors.
- Internal camera flash access: A flash up button on the housing is provided to release the flash and a lever to set it back down. This allows the user to quickly shutdown the internal flash for ambient light images and easily returns to flash photography with the push of a button.
- Classic electrical connections: Option includes the Nikonos ® or Ikelite ® standard connectors.
- In essence, as far as underwater strobe connectivity, this housing is the most flexible in the industry. It will accept the largest variety of strobe on the market and dedicated housing for flashes and radio transmitter such as the Water Wizard.
- Bayonet Port: A positive four point bayonet mounting and a locking mechanism leaves no doubt that your ports and extension rings are secured in place and are water tight on the housing. Larger dome port can benefit of the extra security provided by the #18469 Extension To Port Locking Collar. The bayonet system dome ports, macro ports, and extension rings offer a fast and efficient access to the lens for changing without having to remove the camera from the housing. This housing allows use of lenses from a 4.5mm/180 degrees fisheye lens to a 200mm macro lens. Accepting teleconverter and diopter is also possible due to our flexible Port Extension system.
- Controls & Menus: The housing provides access to all the camera menus and video controls including On-Off, Live View mode, Record On/Off, ISO lever, Exposure Mode, Bracketing, Meter positioning and focus control, and AF activation and lock. Access to all of the menu’s features include enlarge and delete, histogram and internal SLR preferences, and a quick access and conveniently angled review button. Buttons on the left hand side have been angled 20 degrees and are extended where necessary for better ergonomics. Knobs are grooved and knurled for optimum operation when wearing thick gloves and the multi controller pad of the camera has been reproduced for faster and easier handling.
- Hydrophone: The housing can be equipped with a unique hydrophone for recording ambient sound underwater when shooting in the video mode.
- Viewing Eye Piece: The most critical aspect of underwater SLR photography is the viewing system. In this aspect our housing uses a viewfinder that shows the biggest and the brightest image possible with full frame view. Two accessory Aqua View Finders are also available, giving the user unparalleled viewing of the camera’s viewfinder for sharp focusing and exact composition.
- Depth rating: 300 feet/90 meters (upgradeable on request to 425ft/130 meters)
- Precision machined from a single aluminum block. Fully anodized to military specifications and Powder coated with robust wear resistant coating.
- All function labels are clearly and permanently pad printed to prevent peeling off or fading.
- Accurate ergonomic design and excellent underwater balance – all controls including the video activating controls are within easy reach.
- The housing is supplied with replaceable sacrificial anodes to protect the housing from electrolysis.
- The Aquatica AD 7100 is a compact and lightweight housing:
Width: 345mm / 13.5” wide (with grip attached)
Height: 180mm / 7” (including optical bulkhead)
Depth: 152mm / 6”
Weight: 2.75 kg / 6lb
INCLUDED IN THE BOX
- Grips, (left and right hand)
- Hexagonal head bolts (quant.:2)
- Hexagonal (Allen) key
- Owner manual
- Spare main O-ring
- Container of O-ring lubricant
We also carry Aquatica TLC strobe arms and a wide array of Ikelite strobes and cords. We also have Ike housings.
All of the underwater images in these galleries have been shot using Nikon cameras with Aquatica Housings. CLICK HERE.
Contact me for consultation, a quote or the latest news from Aquatica!
Contact Tim at: